Friday, April 11, 2008

Quilt kit from Memory Lane Quilt Shop

This is my third quilt, made last year. I used a Valentine's quilt kit I found at a local store in Santee called Memory Lane. It's a great shop--with lots of fun original kits. This one was very easy--it's assembled in strips, and then you cut up the strips and sew together to make the blocks.
The quilt kit came precut, so all I had to do was follow the simple directions and assemble the strips. Then, I cut the strips into squares, and assembled them into blocks. The center heart is actually a fussy-cut square. I believe it's all Moda fabric. Just adorable prints.
Two different blocks make up the quilt, which gives it a nice variation and makes its own design when assembled. I added a small strip of Blooming Bias (precut chenille strips) to the outer border, just at the binding.
Don't look too closely at the seams--I didn't know about pressing seams in opposite directions to butt the seams together better. Here's a different pattern I found online where you can practice butting the seam allowances. Also, this was my first real attempt at free-motion quilting. My stitches are very uneven, but from a galloping horse, as my aunt says, you wouldn't notice!

No comments: