Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ah, fabric!

Fabric hoarders, unite! You know who you are. I've only been quilting for about a year and a half, and I am stunned at the fabric available today. And unfortunately, my budget shows it.
I have discovered that when it comes to fabric, you really do get what you pay for. If you're going to invest your time in piecing and quilting, you might as well invest in fabrics that won't fade with their first washing. In my opinion, it's worth every penny to get nicer fabrics. My current favorites (Check out their websites for lots of great project ideas, too):If you're looking to keep your budget in check, let me recommend a group on Yahoo called the Fabric Co-Op. Instead of the $9 per yard you might pay at your local quilt store, you can get many fabrics at $4.75 per yard. This works best for backing fabrics, or when you need a lot of yardage, since a cutting fee and shipping applies. But overall, you'll get a great deal.
The sample quilt on this post uses a gorgeous ballerina print by Alexander Henry. It's cream colored, but it has such a nice weave that the seam allowances don't show through. The pattern is a square version of this pattern by Diane Weber. I quilted in the ditch around the panel, half-square triangles and borders. I also tried free-motion quilting around the ballerinas in the center panel, which makes them look dimensional. Enjoy!

No comments: